Friday, February 18, 2011

What's Wrong With My Mouth

I constantly watch my boys. They are so funny. This week my seven year old had an interesting day with his mouth. The housekeeper was cooking in the kitchen and a spark from the stove-top jump out and hit Thul-Qarnayn (my son) on his lips. Not longer after this, a bottle fell off of the window ledge and hit him in  his mouth. He cried a bit, and then ran a long to play with his older brother, who is twelve years old. They decided that they were going to practice kung fu on each other. The older one did a butterfly kick and hit his brother in the mouth. So, after I tended to him and stopped the bleeding he looked up at me and said, "I know the problem with my mouth today.  The problem is that I know two languages and everyone and everything is mad at me because of it!!!" He keeps us laughing. Now, in the back of my mind I began to question, "Does he really think there is a problem with being bilingual?"

So, in this next coming week, I am going to gently probe him about his feelings and thoughts on being bilingual and multicultural.  I will keep you all posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment